One coat of Mayco Stroke & Coat® will create a translucent finish with subsequent coats adding opacity. We suggest 2-3 coats for full opacity and all over coverage. Let dry between coats. Stroke & Coat® glazes will fire to a gloss finish without clear glaze. However, if desired, a clear glaze (such as NT-CLR Clear One Dipping Glaze or S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing) can be added. For application on wet or leatherhard clay and firing to cone 04, colors will retain their vibrancy with huge time savings. We recommend leaving an area unglazed, such as the back or bottom of the unfired piece, to allow for out-gassing of the clay during the single-firing process. Limit glazes to 2 coats including design work.
- Can be applied with a brush, a sponge, a detailer bottle, mats, or silkscreens.
- Marbleizing technique can be achieved by thinning Stroke & Coat® or Foundations® and by moving the ware side to side, using gravity to allow the glazes to flow together.
- For a more traditional and painterly approach, dilute glazes with water to create a thinned watercolor-like glaze. Use these tints to layer for seamless blending. To preserve the integrity of a design, use AC-302 Wax Resist overtop.
- SC-13 Grapel, SC-33 Fruit of the Vine and SC-85 Orkid are formulated with chrome-tin pigments and can be sensitive to non-toxic clear glazes – namely, a milky/cloudy haze may form over the colors. Test by adding a light application of the clear glaze to these colors. These colors will not fade when used with Mayco’s Clear One Dipping (NT-CLR) and Clear One Brushing (NT-BR).
- SC-70 Pink-a-Dot is more translucent than other Stroke & Coat® glazes. Additional coats (more than 3) may be necessary to achieve opacity.
- Stroke & Coat® glazes do not move or blend when used with other glazes. You can apply side-by-side or layer without losing the integrity of the design.
- If you apply one coat of Stroke & Coat® on top of a matte glaze, the Stroke & Coat® fires matte. By applying 2-3 coats, the Stroke & Coat® fires glossy.
- Applying Matte Transparent Clear Glaze (C-300) will not make Stroke & Coat matte.